пятница, 23 января 2015 г.

There are also many historic churches in Charleston. In fact, the city has been named the Holy city


I recently travel agent online visited Charleston, SC to see my mom for a few days. While she has been only living down there a short while, I ve visited Charleston many times over the years, starting back in the mid 80s. It was love at first sight and the city only gets better with each passing year. There is something special about Charleston and I thought that it was time to share what I like so much about this charming travel agent online southern city.
First a little about Charleston s history. The city was founded and settled by English colonists in 1670. By the mid-nineteenth century Charleston was thriving with a busy seaport and many large plantations in the area producing rice, cotton and indigo. When Confederate troops fired on Union-occupied Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor this signified the start of the Civil War.  Charleston s buildings and economy were devastated by the war. Due to a severe lack of funds, Charleston chose to repair many of the damaged buildings rather than replace them. Because of this, walking around Charleston is like going back in time.  The city is packed with historic structures, from tiny carriage houses to large, travel agent online sprawling mansions once owned by rich merchants.
One of my favorite things to do in Charleston is walk around the neighborhoods and look at all of the historic homes. Over the years many of them have been lovingly restored. The Preservation Society of Charleston plays an important role in overseeing the preservation travel agent online of much of Charleston s historic buildings. There are strict guidelines in what can and cannot be done when restoring historic buildings. What is nice is that most of these historic travel agent online buildings are still being used as places of business or residential homes. I love to look past the antique iron gates and fences to see the elaborate private gardens that have been created, usually in the back yards. They often have fountains and intricately shaped hedges. I highly recommend buying a self guided walking tour book and leisurely taking the tours to fully appreciate Charleston s history.
There are also many historic churches in Charleston. In fact, the city has been named the Holy city because of this. Most were built in the early to mid 1800s. I have gone inside many of these historic churches and am amazed how beautiful they are. Each one is unique and fascinating. Again, it is like going back in time.
Charleston is also well known for it s performing arts. Whether it s theater, music, travel agent online dance or visual arts, there is something for everyone. Every year in late May, Charleston hosts the 17 day Spoleto Festival, which has become one of the country s major performing arts festivals. I have not attended the festival but would like to do so some day.
Finally, you will never go hungry in Charleston. There are lots of great restaurants with something for every taste and budget. Many of the restaurants are located in historic buildings which makes the dining experience quite memorable. Two of my favorites are 82 Queen and Circa 1886 . Having lunch or dinner in one of Charleston s fine restaurants is an experience in itself.
While I have visited Charleston many times over the years, I never grow tired of this charming southern city. There is always something new to see.  I encourage anyone who has not been there to put it on your list of places to visit.  You will not be sorry! If you ve been there already but it s been a while, it may be time to go back! If any of my readers has been to Charleston, I d love to hear about your visit!
First visit to Charleston for this reader and I totally agree. The charm is pervasive and the effort to restore and maintain this architecture is admirable. I had a charming tour guide by the name of Aunt Jean who kept me busy and generously showed me the sights in the finest ways. Can t wait to return.
Thank you Nancy! Yes, I have many fond memories of our visits to Charleston. No two of our many visits ever felt the same. Each one was very special. I also look forward to returning to Charleston with you for more fun!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий