пятница, 22 ноября 2013 г.

I have always been interested in the history of Henry the 8th and his wives. Phillippa Gregory has d


Oh man, when I heard that Daryl Roth, my partner-in- Kinky Boots , had secured the rights to John Grisham s A Time to Kill  years ago I was super-jeal.  I love me a courtroom drama.  And I love me some John Grisham.  And while most people would call  The Firm their favorite Grisham thriller,  A Time to Kill  was always mine (there s a great story about how Grisham wrote  A Time to Kill  just to put it on his desk and say he wrote a novel not trying to be the big success that he became he wrote because he wanted to write and look what the heck happened).
I just want to throw in how much I loved A Time to Kill at the Arena in D.C. We saw it mainly because there was no matinee of Follies at KC that day, and it was such a powerhouse. A memorable theater day for me. (Were these same producers involved then, or did you discover the play version there?)
Something Stephen King could be really cool. I would also love to see In Cold Blood by Truman Capote or even one of the movies based of that book, like Infamous, would be great. Other ideas are Lush Life, Trainspotting, Anthem and I would love if Rebecca actually happened. I was so excited for that!
I saw a one hour version of A Separate Peace I think two years ago at a NY Fringe Festival. A one man show [he played both young men plus several other characters]. I forget the actor s name who also wrote it. It was a brillant piece of theatre. If I was a producer with some bucks and connections I would have scooped it up and found a second one woman piece to match with it for an off B Way production.
I see that someone already said this, but Jodi Picoult s novels NEED to become plays. She has a unique way of telling stories that takes contemporary hot-button issues and dissecting them in an uncomfortable (in the best possible sense) way. Of her many titles, I would kill to see Nineteen Minutes as a stage production
I think JK Rowling cruise to tahiti s Casual Vacancy would make a great musical- since there s so many stories and different characters, it d make for a killer score! Also A Series of Unfortunate Events- kooky, mysterious, and fun, with great characters, many of which sport various disguises. The movie was a flop, but hey, things worked out for Newsies!
There was/is a Harold Rome GWTW musical that played in London, and toured a bit here in the USA. By morning in NYC, the London opening night story reached the Big Apple of what Noel Coward said when a live horse took a dump ON STAGE during the Burning of Atlanta first act finale number . It was priceless!
I just read THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak, the story of a German girl and her family that harbors a Jewish man in their basement during WW2. I think it would be a great musical or play .and then it got me thinking about all the other Holocaust story s that would make for a great show! Especially Schindler cruise to tahiti s List by Thomas Keneally. A large portion of the Broadway audience are Jewish and if it s done well a nice big tear-jerking Les Miserable esc style show could run for YEARS!
I think someone should cruise to tahiti write a musical comedy about Joel Osteen. (seriously). I m a big fan and read all his books, watch him on TV..but making a parody cruise to tahiti about the subject of religion (and they re Texans) just brings to mind so many possibilities. OR, if and when the three women at the heart of the Ariel Castro debacle write a book .that would make a gripping cruise to tahiti play. (forgive my thinking outside of the box.):)
Stephen Vicent Benet s The Devil and Daniel Webster would make a wonderful musical. In fact I working on a modern cruise to tahiti version which I call Devlin, Daniel and Webster. It s a musical comedy with some thoughtful overtones (pun intended).
Not a musical, I don t think, but a wonderful rich world, with sex, suicide, cruise to tahiti madness, and a preternaturally magical magician. And hope! If not a full-length play, a trilogy of plays or a film. It s been out there a long time, such great, rich material. I can t understand why no one has tackled it!
One of favorite cruise to tahiti books is Time and Again, by Jack Finney. There is a scene that takes place in the Dakota that gives me chills. The main character looks out the window sees the Natural History Museum so he realizes he has travelled back in time. It s a wonderful cruise to tahiti romantic NYC tale. It would make a terrific musical.
It could be challenging as a play because of the set requirements. Might work better as a musical. But please, won t SOMEONE make this brillant and moving book into a viable movie. I am sooooooo sick of the crap Hollywood is largely producing and all the wonderful scripts that have already been written and deserve a larger audience [via film] that might not ever read the book. Another example of this is Orson Scott Card. I ve heard through some source that it s nearly impossible to get a book of his approved cruise to tahiti for film rights. Finally Ender s Game is being made and I m looking forward to seeing it. His Seventh Son and The Red Prophet are screaming cruise to tahiti to be made into film, and now we have the technology to do it. But the contrabutions here are about theatre not film so I appologize for wantering off the path.
Umberto Eco! The Name of the Rose was his big best-seller and made a great movie, and FOUCAULT S PENDULUM would make a terrific play. It s even more current now than it was in 1988: 1) post- Da Vinci Code, the faux-conspiracy plot requires cruise to tahiti less explanation; 2) most of the scenes are interpersonal, which works well on stage; and 3) it has great potential cruise to tahiti for onstage spectacle, a la Equus and M. Butterfly. If only John Dexter was still around to direct it!
I think that many of edger Allen Poe stories and novels have gone in looked. There are many many short stories that could be made into gripping musicals and with out a big budget. The stories and characters will hold the audience enough. I say Poe!!!
Sidney Sheldon, hands down, without question. It s so genius I can t imagine I m the only person who thought of it. For example, his book If Tomorrow Comes would make an AWESOME musical! His writing style is perfect for an adaption.
John Green s Looking for Alaska would make a wonderfully dramatic stage play, the urgency throught cruise to tahiti the entire novel is undoubtedly powerful. And I imagine high schools around the country would put on fantastic productions.
I know someone has said Jodi Picoult s books could be turned into plays, but I would like to be more specific I think My Sister s Keeper would be an excellent musical. It strikes cruise to tahiti me as a story that would be musicalized very similarly to Next to Normal. It would be excellent to have talented singers/actresses for the roles of Anna and Kate (the two sisters).
Michael Chabon s THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY has all the elements of a terrific stage play or musical: a period piece in the 40s, 20-somethings trying to make it, a superhero comic book foundation and the struggle for love.
I think that Wuthering Heights would make a fantastic cruise to tahiti musical. The composer would be Stephen Sondheim, the director would be John Doyle, the choreographer would be Gillian Lynne, the scenery and costumes would be Bob Crowley and the lighting Donald Holder. It would be a minimalist production. It would be presented cruise to tahiti at the Booth, Schoenfeld, Music Box or Barrymore theaters.
To The Lighthouse Virginia Woolf as a stage play. Picture Sunday in the Park With George type sets/staging with a deeper psychological profile of the characters- and use of soliloquies. cruise to tahiti Great audition monologues could come out of it.
Any book by John Irving, like Hotel New Hampshire, Garp, A Widow for One Year or Owen Meany. Like Grisham his books are often made into movies but I am not aware of stage adaptations. Interesting that many popular novelists become screenwriters or co-writers for their projects but do not take on playwriting either the financial incentives are not there or the skill sets are different.
I have always been interested in the history of Henry the 8th and his wives. Phillippa Gregory has done a marvelous job fictionalizing this brilliant stories and her most famous, The Other Boleyn Girl, was made into a fairly cruise to tahiti successful movie.
I would love to see a play or a musical set in the 1500 s Tudor England, with traditional music and court dancing. A show featuring the stories of Anne Boleyn would be so wonderful to watch because she was such a strong and courageous woman in the face of many politics and unjusts. It could make for a really captivating cruise to tahiti drama-filled play or musical starring an incredible female character cruise to tahiti that will inspire audiences and open their eyes to a somewhat darker part of English history.
Bridget Jones Diary..why, because it s quite funny and real all the things women go through cruise to tahiti in their search, which is far greater than any search through the Amazon, cruise to tahiti for self-esteem and love the men are both idiotic and heroic, her weight issues would make for fun writing and who can refuse the charm of a British accent.
Some self-promotion: my stage adaptation of Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. It s got a love story, quirky characters, plot twists and lots of Vonnegut philosophy. And Vonnegut has a lot of very loyal followers.
I m really into John Green right now. The Fault in our Stars is one of the best books I ve read in awhile. If done right, it could be a really cool play. Would love to see Green write specifically for the stage, too.
Personally, I d love to see LA Confidential as a stage musical. The neo-noir style provides for plenty of great songs that go into the character s psyches, as well as provides a commentary on political corruption and the concept of celebrity that remains relevant to this day.
But for reals, I too think Wuthering Heights would make a wonderful musical. Or any one of those chick books like Pride Prejudice, Sense Sensibility. cruise to tahiti I also agree that Bridget Jones Diary would be a really fun musical.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий