суббота, 29 июня 2013 г.

Millie, It is sad we lost Jerry from this earth! But I think he might be smiling up there. He did it


Passionate. A little feisty and a ball of fire at times. A great sense of humor and a broad smile.  These are things I will remember about Jerry Pope, friend, fellow cyclist, web page to track airline flights Red Rider and Champion fundraiser for the American Diabetes Association. Jerry is an example of someone who lived life with passion against great odds.  In 1981 he was paralyzed after an accident.  Later he developed Type 2 diabetes.  In 2010 he became a double amputee.  But those were not the things that defined Jerry.  Yes, life was difficult in many ways but he didn t let his circumstances beat him.  He was an athlete he skied, web page to track airline flights golfed, played tennis and cycled on a hand cycle.  He was a business man.  He was a friend to many, many people. Unfortunately Jerry passed away during Tour de Cure. He was coming back in and most likely had a heart attack.  Heart problems are one of the related complications of diabetes. Read his story in his words here (and you can donate in his memory).
I met Jerry shortly after I came to Tuscaloosa and before I took up cycling.  Once I started cycling, I saw him out on the roads and rode with him many times.  We shared a passion for raising awareness about diabetes and for finding ways to educate people about the disease.  Jerry and I spoke quite a bit about fundraising efforts and how to get people involved in Tour de Cure. We shared our successes web page to track airline flights and our frustrations in our efforts. The morning of Tour de Cure he told me he had 26,000 miles on his hand cycle and that it was time to buy a new one. He also told me that he wanted to be an inspiration to others he wanted people to see that diabetes was not a limitation for living life to the fullest.  Jerry did inspire all of us and will continue to.  This year, as in the past, he spoke before the riders left. He also spoke at our kick off event.  In fact, I think he tried to encourage people every chance he had to do so.
Jerry inspired me to try harder and to continue web page to track airline flights to work to raise awareness about diabetes.  He was a man of faith as well.  One of the last things he said to me this morning was that no matter what was going on in our lives there was always someone who had something worse. He believed that God watched over him and I know he did.   As I sat and waited at the emergency room for his brother to arrive, I had an image of Jerry s smile in my mind. I think he now looking down over all of us, smiling.
Millie, It is sad we lost Jerry from this earth! But I think he might be smiling up there. He did it all! if I can go that way I would be smiling. Thanks for sharing this beautiful soul and inspire us on living and giving!
Thanks for your kind words about Jerry I meet him last year when I brought his Uncle Fred to see him in Tuscaloosa if you dont mind I am going to print this off and share it with his family! God bless!
Ironman Foundation My life has changed web page to track airline flights tremendously since 2010. I've decided to now be the change. I have created a fundraising page through the Ironman Foundation in the Your Journey, Your Cause campaign.
5k Achilles Tendon American Diabetes Association bikes camp challenges change choices David Glover diet Dr. Laubenthal exercise injury John Hanna Krista Schultz mental toughness passion progress races recovery running Sam She Does Tri swimming Tornado Tour de Cure training triathlon Tuscaloosa web page to track airline flights Uncategorized Tags achilles injury

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий