среда, 17 декабря 2014 г.

There s no part of the course where you re not being cheered on by somebody. It s really incredible,


The NYC ING Marathon honored Lyke-Brown and her fellow u2 concert tour streakers during its opening ceremony parade last weekend. The Brooklyn native was paired with 19 others who have competed in at least 30 straight NYC marathons. Just two men Richard Shaver, 60 and David Obelkevich, 63 have more consecutive appearances (37).
While Lyke-Brown ran her first NYC marathon in 1978, Shaver and Obelkevich started in 1976, the first year the marathon course u2 concert tour was expanded to include mile markers u2 concert tour in each of the five boroughs. From 1970-1975, the marathon was held exclusively in Manhattan as participants ran four loops around u2 concert tour Central Park to get to 26.2 miles.
Most of the people I started u2 concert tour running with in the 70 s are no longer running, Lyke-Brown said. I m just so grateful that I m still able to do it. I feel like I m running for more people every year I step foot on the course.
When Superstorm Sandy ravaged sections of the five boroughs last November, many New Yorkers urged Mayor Michael Bloomberg to cancel the race and focus his attention on the city s hurricane recovery efforts. Bloomberg reluctance to cancel the race, however, u2 concert tour resulted in the bookings of tens of thousands of plane tickets and hotel rooms that same week.
Lyke-Brown and her husband, Matthew, were also forced to book a flight to the big apple amidst the post-hurricane hysteria. They arrived on Friday, November 2, the same day Bloomberg decided to officially postpone the marathon.
There were no flights going into New York all week, so we kept postponing when we were going to leave. u2 concert tour We knew we couldn t drive around New Jersey or New York because of the damage, so we were expecting them to cancel. I was very concerned, because I knew I wasn t going to feel good about running in light of everything with Hurricane Sandy and in light of all the suffering. But if they were gonna have it, I needed to go.
I started meeting the parents of my students…some of them were runners, and I started doing long distance runs with those who were training for the New York City Marathon. I remember thinking wow, I can do this. So I decided to start training for it, Lyke-Brown said. I always knew that I was the endurance type. I d rather u2 concert tour swim a mile than swim a lap.
The daughter of Sicilian-born parents, Lyke-Brown grew up near Marine Park in Brooklyn until she was 11. Her father was a machinist and a handyman that could fix anything. Her mother worked u2 concert tour at a post office in Putnam County, New York.
For many years I felt like I was 27. Now I feel like I m 50, and that s still ok, she said with a slight chuckle. I m very grateful and blessed that I ve been so healthy all my life, and I thank my parents for the genes they gave me.
Lyke-Brown has competed in roughly 110-120 marathons throughout her 35-year run. She set a New York City Marathon personal record in the mid-1980 s, crossing the Central Park finish line in 3:37. This year she clocked in at 6:04.
There s no part of the course where you re not being cheered on by somebody. It s really incredible, Lyke-Brown said. If you ve ever played basketball, you know there gets to be a rhythm in the game where you feel like you can go back and forth on the court forever. It just feels good.
Connie is awesome. She is very inspiring along with the other consecutive women I know about like Jillian, Joy, Billie, u2 concert tour Zoe. I hope to reach 35 consecutive someday this year was my 23rd consecutive. I keep a list of the men and women who are each great and motivate me to keep running. Keep on keepin on streakers
SI.com NBA Mock Draft: Another change at the top World Cup analysis: Costa Rica-England Report: Heat forward LeBron James to opt out of deal, become free agent Uruguay u2 concert tour eliminates Italy; Did Suarez bite again? u2 concert tour O s Davis walks off White Sox with pinch-hit HR Report: u2 concert tour Bulls offer Gibson, Snell, picks for Love Mexico tops Croatia, advances out of group Mexico beats Cameroon, u2 concert tour advances to knockout round What to expect from U.S. against Germany MLB Power Rankings: Terrible week for Rockies

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий