понедельник, 12 ноября 2012 г.

You were flanked by two bodacious dancers at your last NYC show. How did that happen? I did this cra


Since Claire Boucher known as Grimes put out her crystalline tour de force, Visions, last January, she s become an indie cult phenomenon, posed for Vogue, attracted about 3 million viewers on YouTube and been handpicked by Skrillex to join him on tour. We chatted with the subversive artist over the phone before her four-night, very sold-out travel channel online NYC run.
We hear that you wrote Visions during a period of self-imposed isolation and sleep deprivation. At the time I was reading a lot of stuff about cloistering and fasting and the effects travel channel online of extreme sensory deprivation on the artistic process. I was curious to see how far I could push that, because I d done shorter purges in the past. I thought I would take it to the next level.
How does a song come out of that state of mind? It s not that drastically different for me from making a song regularly, it s just that you re so removed from your concept of other people s judgment that it makes it easier to try the craziest things. I think my album would have been less pop if I hadn t been doing that. There was some part of my brain that didn t want to make music that was very transparently pop, because I thought people would judge that or something, but I don t even remember most of it, really.
Grimes has a really defined personal style. Is this something you always had, or do you wake up and put on your Grimes persona? I really travel channel online don t like the idea of being a band that has a persona. I think that s unclassy. I ve been a visual artist my entire travel channel online life, and music s just a thing that I started up. I like the idea of being able to perceive any possible scenario as an artistic experience; being creative doesn t stop at recording music or performing.
You were flanked by two bodacious dancers at your last NYC show. How did that happen? I did this crazy tour over the summer, this Canadian train tour with Skrillex and Diplo. They re Diplo/Major Lazer s dancers. The first time I met them, it was really awesome, because I was wearing combat boots and camo and a hat that said PUSSY on it, and I was just sitting on the train, and two girls walked in wearing combat boots and camo, and one of them had a hat that said CUNT, and the other one had a hat that said I can t remember what it said, but it was just like, we were all wearing the exact same outfit. We immediately became very good friends.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий